3 cups basmati rice
6 cups water
2½ tsp. salt
3 tbsp. cooking oil
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
1 tbsp. ginger, peeled and grated
2 cups cauliflower, chopped into bite-sized pieces
2 cups potatoes, chopped into bite-sized pieces
2 cups carrots, grated (about 2 medium carrots)
2 cups fresh or frozen peas
½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
½ cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp. ground coriander
¼ tsp. ground cloves
¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. garam masala
1 bay leaf
1-2 serrano peppers (optional)
2 tsp. ghee OR olive oil
½ cup raisins
½ cup roasted sunflower seeds (optional)
Measuring cups and spoons
Large pot with a lid
- Wash, rinse and strain the rice. Combine with 6 cups of water and 1 tsp. salt in a sauce pan and place over high heat. Bring to a boil, then adjust the heat to low and add the lid.
- Simmer the rice for 7 minutes (25 for brown basmati rice) until 80% cooked. Then remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes (10 for brown) with the lid still on before spreading onto a baking sheet with any remaining water. Set aside.
- Wash and prepare the produce by peeling, slicing, chopping and mincing them as noted in the ingredients list.
- In a large pot with a lid, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Once hot, carefully add the sliced onions, listening for the sizzling sound. Fry for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Add ginger and garlic and stir in the pan for another minute.
- Add all the remaining vegetables, fresh cilantro, and mint and roast for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, ground coriander, cloves, cinnamon, chili powder, and remaining salt and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the vegetables are fully cooked.
- Add the garam masala and bay leaf to the cooked veggies and stir for another 2-3 minutes.
- Tuck the whole serrano pepper into the vegetables and then spread the par cooked rice evenly on top. Drizzle the ghee over the rice.
- Cover the pot with a lid, reduce the heat to low and leave for about 15-20 minutes, or until the rice is done.
- Mix in raisins and sunflower seeds before serving.
Adapted from My Food Story