2 cups dried red lentils
1 yellow onion, peeled and minced
6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 tbsp. ginger, peeled and grated
½ cup fresh cilantro leaves, minced
1 tbsp. cooking oil
2 tsp. garam masala
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
5 cups vegetable broth OR water
1 14 oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
½ tsp. black pepper
½ tsp. salt
1 lime (optional)
- Measure the lentils into a bowl and rinse with cool water. Look for any debris or stones, then strain off the water.
- Wash and prepare the produce by peeling, mincing, and grating them as noted in the ingredients list.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high. Carefully add the onions and garlic, listening for a sizzling sound. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until fragrant and just beginning to brown.
- Add the ginger and garam masala. Lower the heat to medium and stir for 2 minutes.
- Carefully add the rinsed red lentils, the tomatoes, and the vegetable broth. Allow to simmer for 30 minutes to 1 hour before adding the coconut milk.
- Add the minced cilantro, then taste to see if you need to add salt or pepper. A squeeze of fresh lime is also a delicious addition.