½ medium onion, sliced
1 large potato, peeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 lb. fresh spinach, tough stems removed and leaves roughly chopped
2 tbsp. cooking oil, butter OR ghee
1 tsp. cumin seeds
½ tsp. turmeric powder
1 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
½ tsp. salt
Medium pan with a lid
- Wash and prepare all produce by slicing, peeling, mincing, or chopping them as noted in the ingredients list.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Carefully add the onion, listening for the sizzling sound. Cook and stir frequently until they start to caramelize, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, turmeric, and red pepper flakes to the pan and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and stir them around the pan until they are coated by all the spices, onion and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, stir to combine and cover and cook on medium heat for about 5-10 minutes, or until the potatoes can be easily pierced by a fork.
- Add the spinach and salt, stir everything together and cover the pan. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Squeeze lemon juice over the vegetables and serve immediately.
Adapted from eCurry.