2 cups purple cabbage, finely sliced
2 cups green cabbage, finely sliced
2 cups carrots, coarsely grated
¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
¾ cup mixed seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, poppy and/or sesame seeds)
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
½ tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. salt
Measuring cups and spoons
Jar with a lid OR other container for dressing
Juicer OR fork
- Wash and prepare the produce by slicing, grating, chopping, peeling, mincing, and juicing them as noted in the ingredients list.
- In a serving bowl, combine the purple and green cabbage, carrots and parsley. Set aside.
- Measure out your seeds into a small skillet. Toast over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the seeds are fragrant and the pumpkin seeds start to make little popping noises. Remove from the heat and pour the toasted seeds into a small bowl. Once they are cool add to the salad and toss to combine.
- Prepare the dressing by combining the garlic, olive oil, juice of 1 lemon, cumin and salt in a jar with a lid (or another container) and shake or mix thoroughly.
- Drizzle the dressing over the slaw and toss until all of the ingredients are lightly coated. Taste and add more lemon juice if the slaw needs a little more zip.
Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate to marinate for several hours.
Note: For another style of coleslaw try the Chili Lime Slaw
Adapted from Cookie and Kate