1½ cups uncooked quinoa
¾ cup red onion, peeled and diced
1 red bell pepper, cored and diced
1 yellow bell pepper, cored and diced
1 green bell pepper, cored and diced
*1 jalapeño pepper, trimmed, seeded and diced (optional)
½ cup cilantro, chopped
2 limes, zested and juiced
1 14 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed OR ½ cup dried black beans prepared with the Basic Cooked Beans recipe
3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
5 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1½ tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. salt
Pot with a lid
Measuring spoons and cups
Wire mesh strainer
Juicer OR fork
Jar with a lid OR other container for dressing
- Measure the quinoa into a bowl, cover with water and give it a stir. Pour into a strainer to remove the liquid.
- Add the quinoa to a medium saucepan with 3 cups of water and 1 tsp. salt. Bring to a boil, cover and turn heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes, until the water is absorbed.
- Remove the pan from the heat, let sit for at least 10 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooling down, wash and prepare the produce by peeling, dicing, coring, chopping, trimming, seeding, dicing, zesting and juicing them as noted in the ingredients list.
- Transfer the quinoa into a large bowl and fluff with a fork.
- Add the onion, bell peppers, jalapeño, cilantro and black beans to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the lime juice and zest, red wine vinegar, olive oil, cumin, coriander and salt to a jar with a lid (or another container) and shake or mix thoroughly.
- Pour the dressing over the quinoa mixture. Toss all together and chill before serving.
Note: *Use extreme caution while handling spicy peppers. Use gloves and be sure not to touch your eyes. Wash hands and equipment immediately after handling spicy peppers.