1½ lb. sweet potatoes
( yields: 2 cups of mashed sweet potato)
2 cups whole wheat flour, plus extra shape dough
¼-½ cup sugar
½ tsp. salt
1 tbsp. baking powder
½ cup very cold butter
2 baking sheets
Parchment paper (optional)
Measuring cups and spoons
Rolling pin (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a non-stick liner.
- Wash and scrub the sweet potatoes, then pierce each a few times with a fork.
- Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and ask for an adult’s help to place in the preheated oven. Roast for 40-50 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork. Bake for 5-10 minutes more if they are not soft enough.
- Remove potatoes from the oven. When they are completely cool, peel and mash them in a bowl with a fork. Measure out 2 cups of potatoes.
- Meanwhile, measure flour, sugar, salt and baking powder into a separate bowl. Whisk together.
- Cut up the cold butter into cubes and use your hands to break it up further into the dry mixture until pea sized.
- Make a hole in the center of the butter mixture and pour in the 2 cups of the sweet potatoes. Use your hands to gently fold the sweet potatoes into the flour and butter until a dough forms that is only slightly sticky but manageable. The biscuits will be tough if too much flour is added.
- Lightly flour a clean surface and quickly roll out the dough into a rough rectangle shape that is about ½ – ¾ inch thick.
- Cut the dough into strips by first cutting it down the middle and then each half again into equal portions. Do the same in the other directions to form square shapes as best as possible. Then, either cut those diagonally into triangles or in half into small portions. There should be about 22 individual portions.
- Place on the prepared baking sheets and ask for an adult’s help to place in the preheated oven.
- Bake for about 10 minutes. Then, with an adult’s help, rotate the trays in the oven and bake for 10 more minutes, or until the biscuits are golden brown on the bottom and lightly spring back to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm with butter.