¾ cups (12 tbsp.) unsalted butter OR coconut oil
¾ cups honey OR maple syrup
2 cups whole wheat flour
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup sunflower seeds
3 tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
1½ tsp. salt
¾ tsp. baking powder
1 cup applesauce
½ cup dried cranberries OR raisins
Measuring cups and spoons
2 large mixing bowls
8 x 12 inch rimmed baking sheet OR casserole dish
- Wash the apples, then peel, core and chop them into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- While the oven is warming up, melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Use a spoonful of the melted butter to grease a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, mix 2 cups of whole wheat flour, oats, sunflower seeds, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and baking powder.
- Make a hole in the center of the bowl and add the melted butter and honey. Mix well with the dry ingredients.
- Pat down ⅔ of the crust mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking sheet. Using the back of a spoon is helpful to make it even all the way to the edges. Leave the rest of the crust mixture in the bowl while you make the filling.
- For the filling, combine the prepared apples, applesauce, and cranberries in a second bowl and mix well.
- Spoon the filling on top of the crust in the baking pan and then spread it out flat and even.
- Sprinkle the rest of the crust mixture over the top.
- Ask for an adult’s help to place the pan in the preheated oven. Bake for 40 – 45 minutes or until the top of the apple mixture is lightly browned and the apples are easily pierced with a fork.
- When the pan comes out of the oven, pat down the mixture with a spatula. Allow to cool before cutting into squares.