1 lb. fresh spinach, large stems removed
2-3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 lb. penne pasta
2-3 tbsp. cooking oil (olive oil compliments the flavors well)
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground black pepper
¼ tsp. nutmeg
½ lb. ricotta cheese
Optional garnishes: grated Parmesan, cherry tomatoes, toasted sunflower seeds, sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers
Large skillet with lid
- Wash and prepare the produce by removing large stems from the spinach, and peeling and mincing the garlic as noted in the ingredients list.
- Place a large pot of water over high heat and bring to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the package directions and then strain the water. Return the cooked pasta to the pot.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Carefully add the garlic, listening for the sizzling sound. Sauté for 1 minute or until just starting to brown.
- Add the spinach and stir well to coat the leaves with the hot oil. Add the lid and leave for 2-3 minutes to wilt the spinach.
- Carefully remove the lid, stir and season with salt and pepper.
- In the pot with the cooked pasta, add the wilted spinach, nutmeg, and ricotta. Stir to combine.
- Serve with optional toppings if you like.