5 cups torn bread pieces
1½ lb. tomatoes, chopped into bite-size pieces
*1½ lb. peaches, chopped into bite-size pieces
1 clove garlic, peeled and grated
½ red onion, peeled and diced (optional)
¼ – ⅓ cup fresh basil, chopped
2 tbsp. red OR white wine vinegar
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground black pepper
Baking sheet OR casserole dish
Microplane OR grater
Measuring cups and spoons
Large spoon OR tongs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Tear or cut the bread into bite-sized pieces and spread out evenly on a large baking sheet. Ask for an adult’s help to place the sheet in the preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the pieces are hard and very dry.
- While the bread is baking, wash the produce and chop, peel, and dice them as noted in the ingredients list.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, peaches, garlic, red onion, basil, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Gently toss to combine.
- Right before serving, add the toasted bread to the bowl and gently toss to combine.
*Melon, plums, or apricots all work well in place of peaches.
If storing for leftovers, keep toasted bread separate and only follow Step 5 before serving to avoid it becoming soggy.