4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
8-10 tbsp. mixed fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, parsley, etc.), finely chopped
2 cans white beans, or 1½ cups dried white beans prepared with the Basic Cooked Beans recipe
½ cup bean liquid OR water
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
4 tsp. fresh lemon juice
2 tsp. salt
Optional garnishes: Additional olive oil, fresh herbs, fresh ground black pepper and/ or red pepper flakes for a little spice.
Measuring cups and spoons
Food processor OR blender
- Wash and prepare the produce by peeling, mincing, and chopping them according to the ingredients list.
- Add the beans and ½ cup of liquid in a blender or food processor.
- Add the garlic, herbs, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt.
- Blend until completely smooth, periodically stopping to scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula.
- Adjust for seasoning, adding more salt, lemon juice or olive oil if desired. If too thick, add another tbsp. of water at a time and blend.
- Garnish with a generous drizzle of olive oil and a scattering of fresh chopped herbs. Serve with sliced vegetables, Homemade Crackers, or add to sandwiches.