1 tbsp. active dry yeast
1 tsp. sugar OR honey
1½ cups warm water
3 tbsp. cooking oil (olive oil compliments the flavors well)
1 tsp. salt
2½ cups all-purpose flour
2 cups whole-wheat flour
16 ounces mozzarella, coarsely grated
1-2 16 oz. jars tomato sauce
Suggested Oven Toppings: Caramelized onions, diced bell peppers, sliced tomatoes, rosemary, oregano, sliced mushrooms, crumbled feta, spinach, arugula
2 large sheet pans
Measuring cups and spoons
- Prepare dough by adding the all-purpose flour, sugar and yeast to a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the warm water and mix with a wooden spoon for 3-4 minutes.
- Mix in the salt and the whole wheat flour, one cup at a time. The dough should become too difficult to mix with the spoon.
- Dump the dough onto a clean, lightly floured surface. Knead it with your hands until it becomes smooth and does not stick to your fingers, about 10 minutes.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Let the dough rise for 30-40 minutes.
- Once the dough has risen, preheat the oven to 425°F. Divide dough in half and place each half onto a lightly oiled pan and spread out the edges with your hands to form a thin crust.
- Spread tomato sauce over the crust, leaving a 1-inch rim. Top with cheese and other toppings of your choice.
- Ask for an adult’s help to place the pizzas in the preheated oven, and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the crust is golden brown, the cheese is bubbling and the toppings are cooked.