1 lb. pasta
1 medium onion, peeled and diced
1 rib of celery, diced
1 large carrot, peeled and coarsely grated
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 bell pepper, cored and finely chopped
1 medium eggplants, diced
1 medium zucchini, diced
¼ cup fresh parsley leaves, minced
¼ cup fresh basil leaves, minced
1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes OR 12 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 15 oz. can garbanzo beans OR northern white beans, drained
2 tsp. dried oregano
½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp. salt
¼ ground black pepper
4-5 tbsp. cooking oil (olive oil compliments the flavors well)
2 Large pots
Measuring cups and spoons
Large metal spoon
- Wash and prepare the fresh ingredients by peeling, dicing, grating, mincing, coring and chopping them as noted in the ingredients list.
- Heat 2 tbsp. oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions, listening for the sizzling sound. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until translucent.
- Add the celery and carrots. Cook about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions start to brown.
- Stir in the garlic, peppers, ½ of the fresh parsley and basil, the dried oregno, red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the eggplant and cook for 5 minutes, adding an additional 1 tbsp. of oil if the vegetables are sticking to the pan.
- Add the zucchini and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Carefully add the tomatoes into the pot and stir well to incorporate and coat the vegetables. Then add the beans and bring to a low simmer. Cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender.
- In a separate pot, cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and place in a large bowl, toss with 2 tbsp. of oil, set aside.
- Taste to check the seasonings before combining with the pasta and adding the rest of the fresh herbs.
Note: This recipe can easily be doubled for a larger group.