2 tbsp. oil
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled and diced
2 cups root vegetables (carrots, parsnips, potatoes, sweet potatoes, rutabaga, and/or turnip), peeled and diced
2 1/2 cups vegetable stock OR water
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
1 tsp. salt
Pepper to taste
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup water
Whisk OR fork
- Wash the veggies and then chop, peel and dice them as noted in the ingredients list.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt. Cook until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add garlic to the pan, stir and let cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add root vegetables to the pan, turn up the heat to medium-high, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Carefully pour in stock and herbs, and stir. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Let simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the veggies are just tender.
- In a small bowl, make a slurry by mixing the water and flour together with a fork or whisk until no lumps are left. Slowly add it into the pot to thicken the stew.
- Continue to cook and thicken for 5-10 more minutes. Taste for salt and pepper, and add more if desired.
Enjoy this recipe on its own or with biscuits, such as Sweet Potato Biscuits.