What’s In Your Market Share This Week?
Beetroot is a root vegetable that is also known as garden beet, red beet or just beet. The red or yellow stemmed leafy tops are also edible, they grow above ground and are called beet greens.
- There are many types of beetroot and the colors vary based on the type. The most notable color being red but can also come in dark purple, pink, white and yellow.
- Beetroots and beetroot juice are packed with vitamins and nutrients such as potassium and iron that help improve blood flow and lower blood pressure.
- Beet greens don’t always get as much love as the beetroot but they are delicious and have many health benefits as well. Beet greens contain more iron than spinach, packed with Vitamin D and K which helps bone strength and high in fiber which helps the digestive system.
Here are some recipes that are a winner for all ages and won’t be beat:
The Apple, Beet and Carrot Salad is a Foodprints favorite.
Beet It Brownies are a great treat with an added nutritional value.
The bright pink hue will have the kids wanting to try the Roasted Beet Hummus
A mix of textures and tastes, the Roasted Beet Salad is perfectly balanced.
Keep the fun going with a FoodPrints Anywhere activity:
- Use a container from your recyclables to design and create your own Bird Feeder
- Make Homemade Puppets out of old paper towel or toilet paper rolls.
- Take some time and use some creativity to Decorate Tin Cans
- Starting a garden at home can be easy if you keep these things in mind, Caring for Plants at Home.