3 slices sandwich bread OR a small baguette
1 tbsp. cooking oil
1 tsp. fresh or dried herbs (parsley, thyme, rosemary, oregano, cilantro, dill), finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1 bunch lacinato / dino kale, stems removed and leaves torn into bite-sized pieces
1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
2 tbsp. warm water
2 tbsp. mayonnaise
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. capers, mashed to a paste (optional)
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
2 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
Spoon for mixing
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Tear or cut the bread into bite-sized pieces and spread out evenly on a large baking sheet. Toss with oil, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Bake until golden brown and crisp, about 10-15 minutes, tossing once halfway through. Set aside to cool.
- While the croutons are baking, wash the produce and chop, tear, peel, and mince them as noted in the ingredients list.
- Combine herbs, garlic, warm water, mayonnaise, olive oil, lemon juice, caper paste, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Add kale to the bowl, then toss. Top with croutons.