2 – 14 oz. cans black beans OR 1 cup dried black beans prepared with the Basic Cooked Beans recipe
2 – 14 oz. cans kidney beans OR 1 cup dried kidney beans prepared with the Basic Cooked Beans recipe
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 red or green peppers, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
2 medium carrots, diced
3 tbsp. cooking oil
2-3 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. cumin powder
2 tsp. coriander
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 large (24-28 oz.) jar/can whole tomatoes
2 large tomatoes, chopped OR 1 large can diced tomatoes
1 cup corn, fresh or frozen
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. Black pepper
fresh cilantro, sour cream, shredded cheese, tortillas/tortilla chips or pita bread/chips, lime wedges, chopped scallions
- Wash all the veggies and then chop peel and mince them as noted in the ingredients list.
- Drain and rinse the beans.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Carefully add the onions, listening for the sizzling sound. Stir for 5 minutes then add the carrots and celery. Let cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the peppers and garlic. Stir and cook for another 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, cumin, coriander and oregano to make a spice mix.
- Add the spice mix to the pot. Stir well to mix and cook for 3-4 minutes, being careful not to let the spices stick and burn.
- Add the tomatoes to the pot and mix well.
- Carefully stir in the black and kidney beans, the corn, salt and pepper. Turn the temperature down to low.
- When the flavors have blended and you are happy with the taste, serve. It is fine to eat this right away, or to let it simmer on low for another 30 minutes. Add a little water if it is too thick.
Serve with toppings of your choice.