5 tbsp. butter
2 1⁄4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
3⁄4 cup flour (any variety)
1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
1⁄4 cup applesauce
1⁄2 cup honey
1⁄2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup optional add-ins (raisins, chocolate chips, pumpkin seeds, dried fruit, sunflower seeds, dried coconut flakes)
8×8 inch pan OR 9-inch cake pan
Measuring cups and spoons
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- While the oven is warming up add the butter in a 8×8 inch pan and then place the pan in the oven. Remove after about 3 minutes or as soon as the butter is melted. The butter should coat the entire inside of the pan.
- Add the oats, flour, and baking soda to a large bowl. Mix just until combined.
- Make a hole in the center of the dry mixture and pour in the melted butter from the pan along with the honey, applesauce, and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Stir in 1 cup of your choice of optional add-ins.
- Add the mixture to the greased pan and press down firmly.
- Get an adult’s help to place the pan into the preheated oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until just golden brown on the edges.
- Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes then turn over onto a cooling rack or cutting board. Cut into small bites.
Note: Store at room temperature or freeze.