What’s In Your Market Share This Week?
A plant family is a group of plants that share characteristics. How do you define family?
Plant Family: Nightshades
The Nightshade family has many different fruits and vegetables. Some common nightshades include they’re all technically fruits except one, can you guess?):
Eggplants: often considered a vegetable but it’s actually a fruit. Nutrient-dense and has a mild flavor that can be transformed using spices and herbs.
Tomatoes: are a staple in many diets and often prepared and eaten as a vegetable. It’s also technically a fruit and a great source of many vitamins and minerals
Potatoes: the nutritional content varies based on how they’re prepared. It is a vegetable and the skin contains a great amount of vitamins.
Peppers: this fruit is packed with vitamin C and has a high water content.
Want new ways to enjoy your staples? Try some of these recipes
- Combine your nightshades and make a rich Ratatouille.
- Keep it light and easy with this Crushed Cucumber and Tomato Salad.
- This Cauliflower, Chickpea and Potato Curry is packed with flavor
- Want to clean out some of your fridge, a Simple Veggie Stir Fry is a perfect way to finish off what’s left.
Need a tutorial to help sharpen your kitchen skills? Check out these FoodPrints Anywhere activities:
- Children can be great little helpers, have them watch some of these Cooking Skills Videos and have them assist with washing and prep first.
- Salad dressing can be made at home and taste so much better.